Saturday, July 9, 2011

and fall to come so soon

Seeding the fall garden.  In the first weeks of July.  Always such an odd activity.  It's finally truly hot; we haven't eaten a single squash from the yard; what tomatoes there are are green - and I'm planting for November.  Behind the peas and favas come cauliflower and kale.  What summer?  I have my standard kit, plus a bucket of potting soil to cover the seeds because I think it helps germination rates.  I'll water twice a day until I leave on Wednesday to camp, and if the weather is perfect for my birthday, they'll dry out just as they pop from their cases, and I'll come home to nothing and begin again.  So strange to be battling the very weather we all need in order to grow food, to grow food.





 I did fill in seeding in the center bed on Thursday without potting soil, so we'll see how that goes.  The soil there seems strangely un-absorbent, and of course I put in carrot seed.  If I didn't have that free carrot seed I'd never try.  Stupid carrots.  The arugula, on the other hand, is already up.  God bless arugula.  Weed-food.  The best kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment