Monday, May 28, 2012

stinky pee



For a while there, my pee was really stinky!  Gloriously noxious.  I always feel extra vigorous during the peak of asparagus season, like I must be getting some extra special vitamins to make my pee so rank so many times a day.

More to the point, this was the first year we cut - and ate - our own asparagus.  Really fun.  And since only a few were ready at a time, you had to buy some every time you had a chance so there would be enough for everyone.  We ate them grilled, steamed, rolled in the cast iron til crinkled and black, dipped in the molten yolk of fried eggs, in risotto, in salad with blue cheese, wrapped in salami while lazing on a blanket at the park, even raw, snapped right out of the dirt.

That was a while ago.  Most of them are headed happily to fern state now, and I am plotting how to fill in the holes with more and more crowns (or seed?) and maybe how to do a living mulch with that lovely - and rampant - chartreuse sedum that is everywhere here.

It would have been better if I had mentioned the asparagus a while ago, when we were actually eating them.  It would have been better if I hadn't eaten nearly all of that chocolate cake myself.  But that's not how it went down.  So sue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment